15 October 2012

Observing Report October 15, 2012


I got a quick 25 minute session in tonight. I wasn’t planning on going out, but conditions were good so I decided to get some more observing in. I’m still a little rusty. The conditions were excellent, but seeing was average. Not that I was observing planets, Jupiter is just starting to climb above the horizon around 9:15pm. I can’t wait for later this year; Jupiter is my favorite planet to observe. The first thing I noticed tonight was M45 Pleiades through the trees. It was a great sight, it was one of the first things I observed when I first got into astronomy a year ago. That was my first time seeing it in over 7 months. I quickly glanced at Uranus then tried for M33, the Triangulum Galaxy. After 10 minutes of searching I just wasn’t able to see it. I was in the right place, I just don’t think  the skies were dark enough and my 6 inch scope may not be enough aperture to spot it in a suburban area. The last thing I looked at was M31/M32/M110. M31 wasn’t as prominent as usual so that could be a good sign regarding M33. Tonight was the first good night in a while and I’m ready for the winter constellations!

M45 Pleiades Star Cluster