15 June 2012

Sun + Observing Report June 15, 2012

Here's a picture of today's sun. Single shot, 1/2500 sec, ISO 200. Prime Focus through Baader Solar Film. Processed and edited in Photoshop.




Observing Report

Tonight was disappointing. I ambitiously planned to observe a few galaxies in the Virgo Cluster. I went out at about 9:20pm, not completely dark. I noticed a few low clouds but I wasn’t worried. I observed Saturn and Mars for about 10 minutes. Seeing was poor/average, I managed to spot the Cassini division in moments of steady atmospheric conditions. The clouds started to advance higher in the sky and after five more minutes, they extended up to 50* towards the South. Virgo was clouded out, so I quickly observed M51 so the night wouldn’t completely go to waste. I came in at 9:45pm after a very disappointing night.